Getting Back On Track After A Holiday Break Part 1
You’ve been away for a few days on holiday or travelling and it’s your first day back in the office.
It can take a few days to settle back into your normal working routine, especially if you have a shorter working week ahead of you.
Resist the temptation to just get started with the first thing on your desk or in your Inbox. There will be added demands on your time and people wanting to catch-up or urgent cases that need dealing with.
If you planned ahead before you went away, you will already have an agenda for your first week back. If not, don’t worry, here are a few tips to help you get back into the swing of things in a more controlled and effective way:
• Check your diary so you know what’s expected of you in the first week.
• Avoid booking client meetings on your first day so you have clear time for planning and catch-up.
• Book short review meetings with your direct reports or peers to get back up to speed.
• Move appointments, if you need to, so you have space and time to catch up. You’ll be better briefed when you do then meet with clients.
• Scan through your emails quickly to make sure you haven’t missed anything important. Either deal with them there and then – but only if you can deal with them in a couple of minutes, or flag them to work on later. (Check my articles on dealing with email).
• Work in short bursts to clear an email or paper backlog without getting drawn in to the detail. Quickly go through your Inbox or paperwork and sort and prioritise it first. Set aside time for longer responses later.
Avoid trying to fit too much in on your first few days back in the office. Give yourself time to get back up to speed.