How To Build Great New Habits For 2017http://lawyersinbalance.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/business-planner-1024x768.jpeg 1024 768 Clare Evans, Personal and Business Coach Clare Evans, Personal and Business Coach http://2.gravatar.com/avatar/82505fb4bfd040a01c97444b7b1bcbbd?s=96&d=mm&r=g
Yes, it’s that time of year: we’ve eaten too much, drunk too much, generally overindulged and done little exercise over the holiday period.
Whether you created one or more resolutions for this year or you decided to go ‘Dry’ in January, to stop smoking, lose weight or improve your career, what daily habits have you put in place to help you achieve them?
Perhaps you never make resolutions because, like many others, you know you’ll have given up by the end of the month.
Create a Daily Routine with a few great new habits for 2017 that will help you achieve your year’s goals to improve your career, health and wellbeing.
If you want to make a difference to your life and step out of your comfort zone use these tips when building your new habits for 2017.
“Write your goals for this year down and put them where you can review them daily to act as a reminder as you plan your day.”
1. Know what you want. Get really clear about what you want and why you want it.
- What is your compelling reason for change?
- What’s your overriding motivation?
- What are the results you want?
- How will you look and feel and where will you be in 12 months’ time?
2. Commit. Not only to yourself but tell someone what you’re doing and you’re more likely to stick with it. Write your goals for this year down and put them where you can review them daily to act as a reminder as you plan your day.
3. Create a plan to help you achieve them. Be realistic, set aside the time and space in which to do it. Develop your own routine for your success habits, whether it’s daily habits or a weekly activity. Link a new habit to something you already do without thinking or having to make time for it. E.g. Planning your day with your morning coffee or on your commute to work.
What are the daily habits that will support you in achieving your goals?
4. Start a chain – start logging your new daily habits or create a tracking checklist. If you can keep the chain going, you’ll be more inspired and motivated not to break it, especially as you see it grow.
Try one of the many apps that log and track habits or create a Habit Tracker in your diary or journal.
“Having established one good habit it can have a beneficial effect and an impact on two or three other daily habits.”
5. Team up with a buddy – you can keep each other motivated and keep going when it gets tough. Being motivated by a group or having other people go through the same thing with you spurs you on to keep going. It’s why people join slimming groups or work with a personal trainer.
Get yourself a coach. They’ll provide unconditional support and motivation and will not only help you identify your bad habits but help replace them with good ones.
6. Start small and build on your success. Having established one good habit it can have a beneficial effect and an impact on two or three other daily habits. Introduce additional habits as your new habits become automatic or part of your routine.
7. Modify, adjust, update. What works for one person, might not work for someone else. If you realise you’ve taken on too much too quickly or something’s not working for you, stop, take a step back. Refocus, adjust and modify. What can you change?
Pick one or two things to change at a time, so you don’t get overwhelmed or disheartened. As one habit becomes ‘normal’ and part of your daily routine, add in a new one.
8. Keep going. Sometimes it’s hard to get started but once you gain momentum and start to see the results, it’s easier to keep going. If you stall, don’t give up. (See point 7).
Once you’ve dealt with the resistance or reluctance, taken the first step it’s easier to enjoy the challenge and feeling of achievement.
If it was always easy, we’d never get that sense of satisfaction or appreciate the effort we’ve made.
The most important thing is to start, keep moving forward, day by day.
If you’d like to get started, check your current habits with a free Time Audit. Get 50% off a personalised Time Audit feedback session in January and create your daily habits for success in 2017.