The Diamond Ring Company’s Thoughts On… Should I propose at Christmas?
Probably one of those ‘romantic’ questions that divides as much as Marmite does! There are very distinct pros and cons and here now are a small summary of these, should this be a personal conundrum for you just as the holiday season comes around.
- Speaking from the perspective of ‘today’, if you can’t wait, then go ahead as it will be gone by the end of the year.
- You will never forget your anniversary (hopefully). To make extra sure of that, do it on one of the big Christmas dates like the Eve or the Day or Boxing Day.
- Some recipients will be delighted at the romance of getting engaged at Christmas.
- If you are getting together with family to celebrate and want to make this a lovely family moment that everyone can share, then Christmas is the moment for you.
- You can combine your Christmas gift budget with that set aside for the ring and get them something even bigger (because you will, of course, have been budgeting for a lovely Christmas present anyway, right?)
“You will never forget your anniversary (hopefully). To make extra sure of that, do it on one of the big Christmas dates like the Eve or the Day or Boxing Day.”
- The recipient may think that this will replace a nice Christmas gift.
- S/he may also feel that it takes some of the romance out of Christmas itself.
- It may not be considered your special day as it is so close to other special year-end dates like Christmas Eve/Day or Boxing Day.
- In the future, you may be lumbered with a larger year-end ‘present bill’, should the future spouse be expecting yearly anniversary presents along with the standard special, thoughtful, unique Christmas gift. Double trouble – for the head and the wallet!
Joking aside, it actually boils down to one main point: How well do you know the person you are about to propose to and give a very special item to? What would touch them most?